20/11/2010

As Good a Time to Be Clear-Headed as Any

In America it's been suggested by some religious types that [Christopher Hitchens's cancer] could prompt a revision of his atheism. It's not a hypothesis to which he grants much respect.

"So now I know that there's another life in my body that can't outlive me but can kill me, it's the perfect moment to gratefully acknowledge that I'm a product of a cosmic design? Who thinks up these arguments? Actually it's an insulting question: 'I hear you're dying. Well wouldn't it be a good time to get rid of your beliefs?' Try it on them and see how they would like it. 'Christian, right? Cancer of the tits?' 'Well, yes, since you ask.' 'Well, can I suggest you now drop all that tripe?'"

Andrew Anthony, "Christopher Hitchens: 'You have to choose your future regrets'" (via)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments at posts older than 14 days will only be published after preapproval.